Fillings are the best way to replace the part of a tooth that is decayed and to make your tooth strong and healthy again. A dental filling will restore the function, integrity and shape of a tooth affected by caries (tooth decay).
Fillings are one of the most routine dental procedure performed by dentists every day. They can be done to restore front teeth and back teeth.
At R Smiles not only do we make sure that this procedure is as relaxed and pain-free as can be, but we also make beautiful fillings that will blend into your natural tooth so well that no one will notice that they are there!
At R Smiles Dental Practice we only use composite (white) fillings. No Amalgam (metal) fillings are used as we are a Mercury-free Surgery.
If you need a filling or you would like to change your metal fillings for white ones we are the practice for you!
Our team of friendly staff understands the complex needs of nervous patients. They are experts and experienced in treating those who are anxious and will make you feel at ease.
Book a Tooth Filling Appointment
What Steps Are Involved in Filling a Tooth?
First, the dentist will use a local anesthetic to numb the area around the tooth that needs to be filled.
Next, a drill and air abrasion instruments will be used to remove the decayed area.
Your dentist will then probe or test the area to determine if all the decay has been removed. Once all the decay has been removed, the dentist will prepare the space for the filling by cleaning the cavity of bacteria and debris. If the decay is near the root, your dentist may first put in a liner made of glass ionomer, composite resin, or other material to protect the nerve.
Once the filling has been placed, your dentist will finish and polish it.
Several additional steps are required for tooth-colored fillings and are as follows:
- After your dentist has removed the decay and cleaned the area, the tooth-colored material is applied in layers.
- A special light that “cures” or hardens each layer is then applied.
- When the multilayering process is completed, the dentist will shape the composite material to the desired result, trim off any excess material and polish the final restoration.
What Are The Advantages Of Composite (White) Fillings?
Composite fillings are preferred nowadays for the following reasons:
- Aesthetics – the shade/color of the composite fillings can be closely matched to the color of the existing tooth / teeth. Composites are particularly well suited for use in front teeth or visible parts of teeth
- Bonding to tooth structure – composite fillings actually chemically bond to tooth structure, providing further support
- Versatility – in addition to use as a filling material for decay, composite fillings can also be used to repair chipped, broken, or worn teeth
- Tooth-sparing preparation – sometimes less tooth structure needs to be removed compared with amalgam fillings when removing decay and preparing for the filling
At R Smiles Dental Practice we only use composite fillings, no Amalgam is used at our surgery.
Our team of friendly staff understand the needs of nervous patients and are experts in treating those who are anxious.